Off-Street Parking for People with Disabilities
IF YOU ARE in the process of planning or upgrading an existing commercial or public carpark, you are required to consider the needs of people with disabilities as set out in AS2890.6:2009.
In Australia, there is a requirement under the standard, for all shared areas adjacent to a dedicated parking space provided for the access and egress of people with a disability to be protected by a fixed bollard.
We recommend a fixed bollard to prevent the use of the shared area by other vehicles for parking, or during unloading. A fixed bollard also, importantly, provides physical protection for people with disabilities from other vehicles reversing or manoeuvring in a car park.
Visibility and Safety Around Shared Vehicle Parking Improves with Disability Blue Skinz Bollard Sleeves
While the standard doesn't exactly specify the type or size, it is common practice to install 140mm diameter by 1200mm high steel bollards. Typically, these have a galvanised finish which can become visually lost in a busy or congested car park.
At Barrier Group, for new installations we supply our140mm surface mounted or in-ground 'Gal-Plus' bollards. For existing installs, we recommend our 'Skinz' sleeves that can be retro-fitted up to 140mm diameter bollards.
Both stand 1400mm tall for increased awareness by reversing drivers, are disability blue in colour and supplied with four white reflective bands for improved night visibility.
Skinz One-Piece Sleeves in Disability Blue
Part No. SKZ145-DB
- Simple, slip-on retrofit to existing 140mm dia. bollards
- 1400mm tall, 3mm thick polyethylene sleeves
- Four reflective white bands supplied
- Skinz are also available in yellow in a range of sizes
- Highly durable maintenance-free polyethylene
Gal-Plus Disability Blue Bollards
Part No's. C140SM-SKZDB / C140BG-SKZDB
- Surface mount or below ground 140mm diameter
- Heavy duty 5mm thick wall and hot dip galvanised
- Fitted with 3mm thick polyethylene Skinz sleeves
- 1200mm tall with four reflective white bands supplied
- Gal-Plus also available in yellow and a range of sizes
Compliance Wheel Stops in Disability Blue
Part No. CWS1700B
- Designed to comply with AS/NZ2890.1:2004
- Made in Australia from 100% recyclable LLDPE
- Available in blue, yellow, grey and black
- Four recessed fixing points for maximum hold-down
- Fixing kits available for a range of surface types